Friday, January 28, 2011

Theme

     One theme I found in Riverbend’s blog were the stereotypes of the Iraqi people. Throughout the blog entries Riverbend is constantly trying to set the record straight. In one of her first blog entries she talks about how most people don’t think that any Iraqi people have internet access or even own or know what a computer is. In another blog entry Riverbend talks about how some of the soldiers are afraid to take any water from “strange Iraqis”. pg 15 “I feel pity watching them stand around, drinking what can only be lukewarm water after hours in the sun – too afraid to accept any proffered ice water from “strange Iraqis”. In a later blog entry Riverbend lists out all misconceptions about Iraqis and then goes on to explain each and every one.     pg 34 “The Myth: Iraqis, prior to occupation, lived in little beige tents set up on the sides of little dirt roads all over Baghdad.” “The Truth: Iraqis lived in houses with running water and electricity.” I never realized how many stereotypes that people have about Iraqis.

No comments:

Post a Comment